Tunisia says recovered eight migrants' bodies
The Tunisian national guard said Sunday it recovered eight bodies from the sea after a boat carrying irregular migrants capsized off the country's southeastern coast, with six people still missing.
The boat was carrying 15 people, only one of whom was rescued after it sank some 14 nautical miles off the shore of Zarzis on Friday night.
"Search operations resulted in the recovery of three bodies yesterday and five bodies today, bringing the total to eight," the national guard said in a statement.
Searches for the remaining missing passengers were still ongoing, it added.
On Saturday night, residents in Ben Guerdane -- the city bordering Libya where 14 of the migrants were from -- staged protests, blocking roads and setting tires on fire.
Tunisia, whose coast is some 145 kilometres (90 miles) from the Italian island of Lampedusa, is a key departure point for migrants seeking to make the perilous journey across the Mediterranean in search of better lives in Europe.
The central Mediterranean crossing is the deadliest migration route in the world, according to the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
The IOM said earlier this month that the number of migrant deaths on the central Mediterranean route had more than doubled in the first four months of 2026 compared to the same period last year.
At least 914 migrants have died or gone missing along the route this year, according to the IOM.
In 2023, Tunisia signed a 255-million-euro ($290 million) deal with the European Union, nearly half of which was earmarked for tackling irregular migration.
The deal, strongly supported by Italy's hard-right government, aimed to bolster Tunisia's capacity to prevent boats leaving its shore.
